Before I began, I tied open the tarps covering the doorway and windows. The wildflowers behind the JayBee (to the north) are quite pretty at the moment. The bees were appreciating them a lot today.
I began rafter installation by hanging a joist hanger centered over every 24" o.c. stud in the west end of the house. (I had originally intended that these joist hangers would attach each rafter to the ridge board. What was I thinking?! They would never work for that. So, I switched things around. These will hold the tail ends to the walls. The hurricane ties I purchased as wall connectors will actually attach the upper ends to the ridge board; I'll use one on each side of each rafter.) I used three nails and one screw on each hanger. (Nails have more shear strength than screws.)
I put some boards on top of the ceiling joists--to give me something to stand on.
I wrestled the first rafter into place. Just sitting there--without fasteners yet--it looked kind of perfect.
It got more complicated as I began to fasten the rafters because the weight of one rafter deflects the ridge board just enough to make it hard to attach the rafters straight and square. Clearly they have to be installed in pairs. Finally, I had the first pair fastened.
I cut four more rafters...
...and installed them.
The beginning of a roof!