Saturday, August 19, 2017

Hiding Wires & Electrical Boxes 2

Step one to cover the exposed electrical wires that power the second ceiling light in the kitchen--boards attached to the joist, above and below the wires.


Trim board covering the wires and a half-octagon wrapping the electrical box.


Final piece of trim covering the protruding edge of the electrical box.


Half-octagons and circular trim pieces already made for the last three ceiling lights.


On to the third ceiling light in the kitchen...


Trim board cut and ready for stain.


All three kitchen ceiling lights now trimmed out!


On to the last two lights with exposed electrical wires and boxes--both located in closets.

Also see:

Hiding Wires 1



George--still here, still enjoying his summer, still deaf as a post, turned 18 this month. My sweetie!


Saturday, August 12, 2017

Hiding Wires & Electrical Boxes 1

I was having a hard time finishing up the vapor barrier in the bathroom end of the JayBee because I was spending so much time debating the merits of installing a fan in the bathroom. My original plan was not to have a fan in the bathroom because the room has a window and there will be two other fans in the house (over the stove, and the air exchanger in the living room). I mean, really, just how many fans does a tiny house need? But... then I started thinking that it would be unlikely that I would relish the idea of opening the bathroom window after a shower in the middle of winter. And the bathroom is so small, I imagine it could get quite steamy... I ended up deciding that I would rather install a fan now than try to retrofit one later. While the parts were on order...

I moved on to thinking I could start hiding some of the exposed electrical wires. Since the ceiling joists that hold up the two lofts will be exposed, the wires that run along them will be exposed as well, unless I do something to hide them.


I guess it had been awhile since I last used my table saw. Ahem!


I began by ripping some pieces of pine to install above and below the wires on each joist.


Then came the tricky part--figuring out how to enclose the electrical boxes. I began with one that is close to a wall and does not require a full 8-foot piece of trim. I made a half octagon, attached it to a straight board...


...stained it, and installed it.



Then, the final piece--cut...


...stained, and installed.



My goal was to end up with something that would blend in with the joists and not draw attention to itself. I think I accomplished that!


Four more to go!

Also see:

Hiding Wires 2


For those of you who follow my cats more than my housebuilding: I am very sad to report that Bear appears to be gone--as of ten days ago. There are many possible explanations for his disappearance, but I fear the most likely is that a predator snatched him. While I was working in the JayBee this last week, I was listening to the podcast Criminal; the episode about attacks by great horned owls (Animal Instincts) really had me thinking... Anyway, if he miraculously turns up, I will post an update. If he remains gone, I will probably post a memorial gallery of photos at some point. Meanwhile, George is enjoying his summer.

Some mornings, the Kennebec is so fogged in, it looks like the world ends out there. This was one of those mornings.


I looked up from my desk at work one morning this week...and saw this mama deer, and her baby (camouflaged on the right).




I wonder just how much I miss by keeping my nose to the grindstone most of the time!