Progress has slowed quite a bit on the JayBee project. First, we are in one of our busy seasons at work, and we're short-handed--which adds up to long work days. (For those of you following along who think I'm retired or independently wealthy or have endless vacation time--wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm a working schlub who is trying to find time for this project along with everything else.) Second, my first day back to work after vacation, I came down with a whopper doozy cold. Nice.
Last weekend, I spent half a day working on the south wall--fastening the bottom plate and the window framing. I told myself I had to move slowly enough that I wouldn't start coughing. I had a great day, and I learned that slowing down is not necessarily a bad thing. I used more clamps and braces to hold things and, consequently, ended up re-doing things less. In the end, I think I got as much done as I would have moving "faster," and I had a lot more fun doing it.
The long board laying across the middle of the wall in the above photo is the yet-to-be-fastened top plate.
The beginning of this week was all about rain. I bailed and dried things up to four times a day!
Yesterday, I built the header for the entryway...
...and I figured out how to prop the wall far enough out over the edge of the trailer that I could fasten the top plate.
I spent this morning crawling around under the trailer, tweaking the leveling of it. I want it absolutely level before this large section of south wall gets raised.
The west end of the south wall was relatively easy to square up, so I glued and screwed plywood sheathing to it.
Guess who I found sleeping on the job! (Bear raised his head when he heard the camera shutter, then went right back to sleep.)
This other section of the south wall was very difficult to square up. In the end, I used a rope running underneath on the diagonal to pull it into square, then attached a 1 x 4 on the other diagonal (but out of the way of where the next sheet of plywood needed to go), and then attached sheathing.
This is as much sheathing as I can apply before the wall gets raised. When we raise the wall (and I sure hope we can lift it!), two headers need to be installed and the top plate scarfed together before the final bit of sheathing can be applied.
As I started to cover things and put things away for the day at 6:00, it started to rain. Good timing! All in all, a good day.
South Wall 1
South Wall 2
South Wall 4
South Wall 5