Monday, August 8, 2011

Dibs and Dabs

Yesterday was literally a washout. It rained on and off all day, so it became a much-needed break from construction. Debra left to return to San Francisco early today :-( so I was back working solo. It was a day for doing a little of this and a little of that...

First, I added a second top plate to the east end bumpout.

I made plastic covers for every window--with strings so I can tie them open when I want air to blow through the house. They came in handy when it poured at noon.

While it rained, I worked under the tarps. I bolted three ceiling joists to studs in the bedroom end of the house.

I have used GRK fasteners to secure the bottom plates of the walls to the sills. (The sills are bolted to the steel frame of the trailer.) It occurred to me today that I could use much longer fasteners on the bottom plates of the bumpouts because they are attached to floor joists and I don't have to worry about the fasteners hitting steel. So, I bought some long GRK fasteners today and replaced all the fasteners on the bottom plates in the east end bumpout with longer ones.

I attached plywood sheathing to the side walls of the east end bumpout.

At the end of the day, Bear and I went down to the river. Pretty moon!


  1. OMG -- you *did* attach that plywood to vertical walls all by yourself! Wow.

    P.S. I love the window coverings :-)

  2. Why, yes I did. Those two pieces look simple but it took me a long time to get them up there. Honestly, the attaching part was easier than cutting and applying adhesive. To hold a piece while I drove screws, I just leaned against it. Once I had a couple of screws holding it, I could climb the ladder to put in the top screws, etc.