Thursday, April 16, 2015

Corner Trim 1

Another sign of spring: More geese returning north!

On my quest to start installing cedar siding shingles soon, I need to install the trim boards on the corners of the JayBee. Before I can install the corner trim, I need to install flashing. The flashing was easy enough to install on the southeast corner. The southwest corner, however, was another story. You may remember that the west end of the house is basically unfinished; it is lagging woefully behind the rest of the house. Consequently, there was no radiant barrier or housewrap applied to that end of the house. I took care of that problem a few days ago.

Notice how the housewrap that was installed before winter (that is wrapping around from the south side of the house) looks old and worn compared to the new stuff? Time to get all of this covered, don't you think?

Once the radiant barrier and housewrap were on, I was able to add the flashing.

Now for the trim. You may remember that quite some time ago I was (unsuccessfully) messing around with making templates for the tops of the corner trim boards. Here are my two completed templates for the southwest corner. The tape and paper are my attempt to add back wood where I have cut or chiseled too much away.

The templates may not look like much, but they sure helped me cut the long trim boards to fit without ruining them. Here are the back sides of the trim boards...

and the front sides. Very complicated!

Here are the two boards combined and stained...

and with trim screws added.

Ta da! All installed. I'm quite pleased with the result.

You may notice that the trim board on the west end of the JayBee is shorter at the bottom than the trim board on the south side. The south board shows how far down I plan to install the cedar shingles. I cut the west board shorter to make sure the brake light on the trailer won't be obscured.

Also see:
Corner Trim 2
Corner Trim 3
Corner Trim 4

As for other spring activites...

I noticed that my old ladder is now free of its snow/ice bank, so it is useable again.

I am starting to leave some things outside overnight again, which makes setup and cleanup go quicker.

Work crews have been using their specially-adapted trucks to run up and down the railroad tracks--presumably doing maintenance, even though no train has run on these tracks for years.

At one point, I thought I saw a really large duck out in the river. It was just an oddly shaped piece of ice!

During one of my breaks, George acted like he wanted to come say hi, but he kept moving closer only a little bit at a time before he would stop and sit.

Turns out he was trying not to catch the attention of his nemesis, Bear.

Didn't work. Bear charged. Here they are after a tussle.

No comments:

Post a Comment