Friday, February 11, 2011

Wash & Dry

When I purchased a new washer and dryer last summer, I wasn't even thinking of building a small trailer house. After making the decision to build a tiny house, I assumed I'd have to store my new washer and dryer somewhere; surely they would be too big for my tiny house. I worried that I would ruin them in storage. (What if I didn't get all of the water drained out and something froze/burst?) I thought my only shot at having a washer and dryer in my tiny house was if I found/bought stacked ones or one of those combined ones (that don't seem to work all that well).

Last night, as I was thinking all of this over, I decided that it made no sense to purchase a new set. Just too wasteful. I was convincing myself that maybe I could live with either just installing the washer I have, or go completely without and have more closet space in my home--which I could use. This was a depressing thought because I really dislike using a laundromat. REALLY dislike. We all have our *things*--the things we can tolerate easily, and the things that really drive us nuts. I don't mind shoveling snow, I don't mind mowing the lawn. I don't mind washing dishes by hand. I don't mind doing the laundry--when I can simply put in a load and go about doing something else. If I have to go to a laundromat to do laundry, I will find every reason imaginable to put it off. So, after depressing myself with these thoughts, I wondered: "Just how much larger than a stacked washer/dryer is my set?" ... My set measures the same as the typical stacked set--27"x27". Hmm.

I found out today that a "stacking kit" for my washer/dryer set costs $30. (Yes, I know; sometimes I take the most convoluted route to the most obvious answer.) Looks like I will have a washer and dryer in my tiny house!

No comments:

Post a Comment