Friday, February 18, 2011

Bathroom Fixtures

I have collected some things over the last 20 years that I hoped to include in my future home. I have used a few of these things in my current home (like light fixtures), but most things have just been waiting. Enough time has gone by that some of my ideas have changed. For example, I acquired an antique claw-foot bathtub for a very good price 20 years ago--and it's been sitting in my garage ever since. Not long ago I decided that, much as I love the tub, I will not install it in a future home. The next tub I install will be one with a side door for easy entry/exit. Instead of selling the claw-foot tub, though, I am going to set it up outside so I can still take a bath eight months of the year--since my JayBee will have only a tiny shower. (Just thinking about setting up my tub outdoors makes me think of an Australian TV show, McLeod's Daughters. [I know; I don't have TV. I watched every episode of every season through Netflix.] Drover's Run had an outdoor tub; when used at night, bathers were surrounded by that vast Australian sky...[Yes, of course they were surrounded by the sky during daytime, too. :)])

Although I prefer a classic (even rustic) look, the fixtures I will install in my JayBee bathroom will have a more contemporary look. I guess the term for the look is "transitional." The toilet has smooth, clean lines (easier to keep clean!); dual flush (.9/1.6); ADA-compliant height; and one of those slow-closing lids. The sink is really cute. It's small (10" x 15.5"), but has good depth. I get annoyed having to adjust hot and cold water with separate faucets in my present sink, so I'm eager to try this single bathroom-sink faucet. The hand that is steadying the sink in this photo gives you some perspective of just how small this sink is.

3 comments:

  1. omg! outdoor clawfoot bathing with a view!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Isn't that a brilliant idea? I was thinking I would sell the tub on Craigslist this spring--when the snow recedes enough that I can get into the garage--but then I got to thinking about how I've always wanted to have an outdoor shower. I love baths but one of the trade-offs I made with my JayBee design was giving up a bathtub. Hmmm...Now that I think about it, this post might have to be added to the "duh" category, given just how long it took for me to come up with this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny how it could qualify for both "brilliant" and "duh" at the same time.... i definitely vote for "brilliant!"

    ReplyDelete