Friday, March 9, 2018

Just When You Think Winter is on Its Way Out...

...it comes back!

For some reason, I have raging spring fever--and it's WAY too early in the year for that. Where I live, the entire month of March is still winter. It's no wonder, though, why I was teased into thinking that spring might be on its way. Just days before yesterday's blizzard, the JayBee was looking very snow free.



Enough ice had left the yard that I could leave the front door of the house without wearing crampons.

The river had gone from thinning ice...


...to broken up ice (with a little help from some Coast Guard cutters)...




...to open water...


...with ice chunks only left along the shore.


On one of my rambles, I found some nesting eagles.



Here is one of the parents--circling before a nest landing.



But, then, the blizzard started.

After one plowing, it was still going strong, and we had eight inches of snow.


A few hours before it ended, the snowfall was up to 12 inches.




After it was done, and another plow later...it looks like winter again.


The snowbank in front of the garage is huge again, too.



This snowfall was all heavy, wet snow. Perfect for building a snowman or an igloo, or for having a snowball fight. Shoveling it out of the yard? Not so fun. While I was shoveling, a sudden, thunderous sound had me instinctively diving into a duck-and-cover move. It turns out this chunk of snow had let loose off the JayBee's roof. Thankfully, I was not standing under this eave. Made me chuckle afterwards. What did I think--that the sky was falling?


2 comments:

  1. Have I ever mentioned that I've used some of your river pics as wall paper? Hmm. . .Maybe I should have asked first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First I'm hearing of this! :-)

    I'm flattered that you find some of my photos so worthy. As long as you're using them in a personal, non-shared, non-broadcast, non-commercial way, I'm fine with it.

    It's a bright, sunny day here today. There's another blizzard rolling in tomorrow, so I'm going to hustle to get some things done today. If I accomplish enough photo-worthy stuff, maybe it will warrant another post.

    ReplyDelete