Monday, March 12, 2018

Clothes Closet

The Kennebec was brilliant today. A gorgeous lull before the next blizzard.



The bright light blue in the sky looked more painted than real, and it was reflected in the water.


I realized a few days before last week's blizzard that the snow had receded enough that I could get into the back storage room and dig out some framing lumber. The day before that storm hit, I scrambled to pull out a bunch of 2x4s, I cleaned up the table and miter saws that hadn't been used all winter, and I cut all the framing lumber I would need to build the east side of the clothes closet for the JayBee (colored green in the drawing three images down). It is good that I made the effort that day because last week's blizzard has made the back storage room inaccessible again.

To refresh your memory, I built the west side of the closet awhile ago. It includes a ladder to the storage loft...


...and it includes some built-in shoe storage shelves. Note the blue tape on the floor to the right of this section in the photo below; that is the outline of the east closet section.


This east section of the closet will consist of three connected wall pieces that will sit on ball-bearing casters. The whole section will pivot open on a piano hinge that will be attached to a wall stud at the red X. Constructing this closet section is complicated (cuz that's just how I do things!) because the eastern wall (the longest wall of the three) will have a folding ironing board as well as a little alcove for a small speaker embedded between the studs on the living-room side.


Here are the studs for the east wall of the section. It's hard to see due to the poor lighting in the photo below but there are cut-out sections in some of the studs. You may also notice that one of the studs (the second from the right) is very warped. I initially had a very nice, straight stud--but I totally messed up the cut-away bit, so this is what I had to use as a replacement. Hopefully I don't lose my mind trying to wrestle this warped stud into place.


I decided to hustle today to get some of this east closet section assembled before tomorrow's blizzard begins. As I laid out these pieces, I became puzzled by the bottom plate of the wall. It turns out that instead of this...


...it really needed to be cut like this...


...so it can be installed at the bottom of the wall like so.


Assembly underway.


It took awhile, but this part is done so far.


I've been watching this snow hanging off the JayBee for a week. It finally let go today--just in time for the next storm.


Ahem! While George may not be the cause of the plastic pulling away from the house (I think it was the wind during last week's blizzard that did that), he is an incredible opportunist.


George visited the JayBee today once I put out the step ladder for him.


George supervising.


Ready for tomorrow's blizzard.

No comments:

Post a Comment