Thursday, May 7, 2015

Siding (South Wall) 2

To align the second course of shingles, I decided to try using tape. The wooden guide I built is a bit heavy, and hanging it puts a lot of holes in the housewrap and sheathing--necessary for the first course that hangs below the edge of the house, but shouldn't be necessary higher up. I know that some people snap a chalk line but, if I did that, I can imagine that I would end up with blue chalk lines under every course of shingles. And they could take a long time to wear or wash off because they would be protected underneath the shingle edges. Note that I filled all the screw holes (left over from hanging the wooden guide) and staple holes torn in the housewrap with caulk before proceeding.


Here is the second course done. It occurred to me while I was working that, although putting up individual shingles is time consuming, at least I can do it by myself. How would I put up long clapboards by myself?


The third course done and the line set for the next course.


Do you see a different/interesting element emerging?


Also see:
Siding (South Wall) 1
Siding (South Wall) 3
Siding (South Wall) 4
Siding (South Wall) 5
Siding (South Wall) 6
Siding (South Wall) 7
Siding (South Wall) 8
Siding (South Wall) 9
Siding (South Wall) 10
Siding (South Wall) 11
Siding (South Wall) 12
Siding (South Wall) 13
Siding (South Wall) 14
Siding (South Wall) 15
Siding (South Wall) 16
Siding (South Wall) 17
Siding (South Wall) 18


The first black flies of the season showed up today. Uh oh; black flies could make me pretty miserable over the next several weeks.

I have a friend a few miles from my home whose yard is full of blooming flowers. My yard, by contrast, had not a single flower until yesterday--when a few things finally popped.




No comments:

Post a Comment