Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Spinning My Wheels

Last week, especially the second half of the week, I felt a bit like I was spinning my wheels. It began with being stood up by two contractors in one day. No calls, just no shows. How do people run their businesses this way?

I did end up having a great meeting later in the week with a guy who can do the septic and water hookups for the JayBee. He was so great, in fact, that he creatively cooked up new possibilities. Sometimes numerous options are not freeing; for me, they often add more confusion and indecision. I stewed for days--writing pro-con lists, worrying, hemming and hawing. The issue is that I'm worried about the base the JayBee sits on. Here's a photo I took a few weeks ago. When the frost started coming out of the ground, this post went crazy tilted.


The post has since straightened itself out, but it was a dramatic reminder that I need to figure out a better base for the JayBee or I will be dealing with major problems every winter and spring. The contractor and I cooked up an option to move the JayBee out of its current spot and place it on a well-constructed pad. This is not the plan I've had in my mind for years, but I think it's a good option. In addition to giving the JayBee a better base to sit on, it will make the septic, water, electric, and propane hookups all better. The scary part is that it gives me a lot more work to do over the next few months than what I'd planned. I'll explain more about this as my plans coalesce over the next few weeks.

Even though I was stewing for days, I kept trying to get little things done. I installed trim and a base for an outdoor motion- and light-sensing light.


I started putting caulk around the window trim. (Sorry, no pictures of that.) What a tedious job that is! I added coats of poly to the pocket door. (I'll do a separate post about that soon.) I also did a bunch of setup for starting to install the shingle siding. (See my next post about that.) I met with a plumber, but it was a weird meeting; I think I have to keep looking.

In the meantime...

With the bamboo all knocked down, I can see the trunk of that tree that fell over onto my drain field last fall. It is huge--almost three feet in diameter!


Boat traffic is out on the river again.


The cats and I did a woods ramble the other day.





No comments:

Post a Comment