Saturday, June 16, 2018

Mystery Boxes


While waiting for various coats of stain, paint, and polyurethane to dry on wall boards, I built these three boxes. What do you think they are for?


I'm calling them speaker boxes.

My plan for my surround-sound speaker system is to have most of the speakers embedded into the walls, so they don't stick out into the living-room space. I decided I needed to install these alcoves for the speakers now, so the wall boards can be installed right up to their edges.

First step: A detailed drawing and cut list.


Here are the pieces I cut for three speaker boxes.


I sorted the pieces into boxes to be sure I didn't mis-cut anything. If you notice that the bottom box is deeper than the other two--good eye. Two boxes are going into walls that are only 2.5" thick. The other one is going into a wall that is 3.5" thick.


Here are the boxes assembled.


First layer of paint applied. The small hole you can see in the bottom of the closest box is for passing the speaker wire into the box. (Yes, I have a wired--not bluetooth--sound system.)


First speaker box done and installed. I set a speaker in the box to demonstrate how it will work.


In the next shot, you can see the two boxes installed on either side of the bed alcove.


The third box is done. It will be installed in the wall of the closet that is currently laying on its side in the middle of the JayBee as a paint stand. That box will get installed later.

No comments:

Post a Comment