Monday, April 23, 2018

Spring is Here!

I think it might actually be spring. About time. Two nice weekend days, followed by today--sunny, and in the 50s all day. The last pile of snow in front of the garage has melted.

Today, I spent the entire day either in the JayBee or outside.

I finally finished painting the east section of the clothes closet. What a tedious job! I was reminded why it's not common to paint framing lumber. So much easier to paint a flat wall instead.


I decided today was the day to fix the trash bin. Remember the trash bin? It worked for years as I had planned; I never put actual trash in there, but it held all of my recycling. Then, over time, the execution of the plan derailed. A few times in high winds, the lid flipped itself backwards over the top--bending the hinges beyond repair and, consequently, so warping the lid that it would no longer lift open or close tightly. The final straw was when a family of mice moved into the bin and made a mess of things. Before the snow set in last winter, I emptied out the bin and moved it up near the house awaiting repair. It has been in the way of the outfeed of my table saw, so I need to get it fixed and moved back down to the end of the driveway.


Today, I removed the lid from the bin and threw away the hinges.


The lid needed some work.


After sanding it, straightening out the curve with some extra screws, filling in the old screw holes, and re-staining it, it looked acceptable again.


I installed all new hinges on the lid. I also installed some latch thingies on the sides, so the lid can no longer go flipping around in high wind.


Done! If I come up with a way to keep mice out of the thing, I can move the bin back to the end of the driveway and put it back in use.


Old Man George has been loving the weather. He just soaks up the sun and sleeps endlessly--


--when he's not begging for scritches.


I just love this evening light on the river.


No comments:

Post a Comment