Monday, March 14, 2011

You Know It's Spring When...

the whole dang family* goes for a walk! ( * that would be me and the cats)

We haven't done this for months...since before the snow began to fly. So, even though the air was brisk and the road a bit cold and muddy on the paws, we went for a walk after I got home from work.

I did try to capture the two cats in one photo, but George likes to hang back


and Bear insists on being underfoot.


I was very puzzled by this odd dark shape out on the river ice. By the time I figured out it was two bald eagles doing goodness-knows-what out there and pointed the camera, one of them flew off. Extra points if you can spot the one remaining...


BALD EAGLE UPDATE: On my way to work this morning (March 15), only a few miles from my house, I came around a corner in the road...and slammed on my brakes because there was an eagle in the middle of the road eating some kind of feathered carcass (small wild turkey perhaps?). At first he (she?) seemed unconcerned...then tried to take off with the carcass. Too heavy, so dropped it. I think I held my breath the whole time. She was only about 25 feet in front of me. Watching those long, graceful, and powerful wings pump the air as she slowly took off down the road--the whole scene seemed to play out in slow motion. When I finally moved my car again, crows started flying in from all directions...If I'd been able to stay and watch, I might have seen quite the contest for that carcass. My morning was awesome--in the true awe sense of the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment