Friday, February 23, 2018

Yes, I'm Alive. The JayBee project is still alive, too. (another in the You Know You're Taking Too Long series)

Yes, it has been a LONG time since I posted a blog update. I guess I have crossed some tipping point, though, by letting it go this long; I have heard from a number of people in the last week who are tired of waiting. So, in an effort to regain some momentum--both with the JayBee project, and with the blog posting--here is a mish-mash post of random things from last fall.

Before the snow flew, I finally removed the nest from the top of the light outside the JayBee's front door. I was surprised by the amount of clay/mud included in its construction...


...and by how clean it was. Two birds were fully raised in this thing!


I also removed the nest from the top of the air exchanger on the north side of the house. Finally, once again, the JayBee was nest free!



Here is George happily curled up in a box. If you look really closely, you might see one of his eyes wide open (on the far left).


George looking skinny skinny. Thankfully, around Thanksgiving time, he finally put on some winter weight, so he looks better these days. I'll try to get an updated shot of him soon.


Here's a strange thing I just have to share: In a neighboring town, there is a house that always has a sign posted in its yard--with one word on the sign. Every few weeks, the sign is changed to have a new word. For example...


I go by this house on my way back and forth to my chiropractor, and I have gotten in the habit of making sure I look to see what the latest "word" is. Imagine my surprise when I drove by one day last fall and this enormous cat was in the yard along with the sign! After a few weeks, the cat disappeared. The sign is still there.


Here is a bald eagle circling overhead last fall. Bald eagles in the trees outside my bedroom window woke me up recently. My neighbors tell me it's now their mating season, which apparently explains why they are so active and loud these days.


Tomorrow I will post an update on JayBee progress and plans.

2 comments:

  1. Umm. . .Might be time to become a aquainted with a kitten or two. Not that it's any of my business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi DWR!

    Not that I haven’t had fleeting thoughts about kittens…but, let me tell you a story…

    Back when my son was graduating from high school, and George was four years old, my son and his girlfriend asked me if I wanted a kitten. Actually begged me to take a kitten (from a litter the girlfriend was trying to re-home), saying things like, “You’ll be lonely when I go off to college.” I was firm; no, I did not want or need another cat.

    Then, one night when I was laying in bed reading, the two of them came home and into my bedroom with a cardboard box. Next thing I knew, my bed was swarming with kittens. Aww, kittens! So cute. My heart melted. The conversation about “did I want a kitten?” morphed into “how many kittens did I want?” I fought to hold the line at one. Then faulty logic kicked in. I chose the largest kitten from the litter—thinking I should choose a kitten that had at least a tiny chance of holding its own with alpha-cat George. That’s how Bear joined the family.

    Now there are many things I loved about Bear, and miss to this day, but I do not miss the fact his existence and pestering tortured George for the 14 years he lived with us. I think George has well-earned some peace in his old age.

    I hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete