Monday, July 18, 2016

Plumbing 2

Big realization: the outdoor spigot could not go where I had planned (on the outside north wall, near the northwest corner; on the inside beside the toilet). In order for it to be frost free, it has to extend quite a ways into the house, which means it really should go into an interior wall on the inside. I don't have many interior walls...so that meant it should go in the closet wall.

This is one of the reasons I had not shingled the outside of the north wall yet; I knew I needed to consult with someone knowledgeable about the locations for everything. I had installed trim to accommodate the outdoor spigot in that northwest corner. Over the weekend, I moved the spigot trim, and I installed two other pieces of utility trim as well. In this next photo, the closest three pieces of trim are the ones I just installed. The closest one will hold the FairPoint (land line phone) box and the outdoor electrical outlet. (I know, I know, just go with cell phone service. I've heard that many times. I'm happy with my DSL Internet service, though, and that comes through the phone line, so that's the way it is for now.) The next piece of trim houses incoming power service. The third one over is for the relocated outdoor spigot. (The last two trim pieces that have been there for awhile are for the dryer vent and the water meter.)


Today, the outdoor spigot got installed.


Also installed: the water lines, drain, and vent for the washer and outdoor spigot. This next photo is from the closet side.


This is from the washer side. It may appear backwards, but I decided that access to these things needed to be through the back of the closet. Since the washer and dryer will be stacked up against the closet wall, if the controls faced the washer, I'd never be able to reach them.


It is hard to get perspective in this next shot. The camera is tilted back and up, looking through the ceiling joists toward the ceiling. The water lines have been run along the back side of the ceiling joist to bring water from the north wall over to the south side--for the shower and the kitchen sink. The long silver piece on the right is the track the pocket door will sit/slide in.


Here are the water lines installed for the shower and kitchen sink.


Higher up, here are the water lines supplying the shower head.


And here is the shower control.


This is the vent for the shower, toilet, and two sinks--punched up through the ceiling/roof.


That vent from the outside.


Wow. What a difference a few days can make!


P.S.1. No, I still have not received my money back from the plumber who took a deposit from me and never did any work. My complaints with the Better Business Bureau and the state Attorney General's office hit dead ends because the plumber chose not to participate. The city police department would not accept a complaint from me for "theft by deception" because they did not think they could prove "intent." The state licensing board and state plumbing inspector referred me to the local police department, Better Business Bureau, and state Attorney General's office. Yes, I have gone in circles a number of times. This has all been quite an education! I had no idea how easy it is for someone to take your money in exchange for work, not do a stitch of that work and, then, keep that money--with no accountability, no penalty, no threat of arrest, and no threat of losing the professional license used to "sell" the service in the first place. My only remaining resort is Small Claims Court, but I've been warned that, even if I win my case, I might never get my money back. Is this system broken, or what?!

P.S.2. (19 Sep 2018) I did win my small claims case and, no, I have never received the money I'm owed.

P.S.3. For some reason, this post has attracted a lot of attention--especially from people advertising "plumbing services" in India. I delete all comments that contain advertising, but I'm annoyed by the daily hassle of having to do so on this post. Therefore, I'm closing comments on this post.

Also see:
Plumbing 1
Plumbing 3


George trying to find a cool spot in this heat and humidity.


No comments: